Re: Strategic Reserve.

The "steam" point was hypothetical. I was trying to get away from the military
sense of 'strategic', however.

Anyway, when I was a kid, my home town of Brisbane copped a massive flood which
managed to render the diesel-electric fleet in the city's main locomotive depot
immobile (the loco depot was in one of the worst-flooded regions), as their
electric motors were below the level of the water and any attempt to move them
would short-out the motors.

At the time, there was a fleet of about 50 diesel-hydraulic locos used for
shunting. They weren't affected by the floodwaters and were employed to maintain
a reduced suburban service until the diesel-electrics dried out.

That is what I meant by a "strategic reserve" - and such a fleet wouldn't need
an army of steam fitters, enginemen and firemen either.