Re: 422s - Have they been Sold?

Michael McDonald <michael.and.colleen.mcdonald@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
7qfvc2$75n1c$1@titan.xtra.co.nz">news:7qfvc2$75n1c$1@titan.xtra.co.nz...
> You may be a bit pessimistic there with regard to the Darwin line.  The
> weekend "Auckland Metroport" trains in NZ may give you an idea of what
could
> happen if Darwin becomes a major port for containers bound to/for South
> Eastern Australia.  Even though the NZ operation is relatively small, the
> extra rail traffic generated is noticeable.  How many tonnes do you reckon
> could be carried in such an operation?  I don't know what the figures are
> for the metroport trains - it may equate to about 10,000 tonne each way
> during the period, from just two ships calling at the port.

<snip>

> Cheers
> Michael

It would be OK if Darwin was on a shipping route, but its not, the nearest
port to our major Asian customers (Japan, China etc). is Brisbane, why would
and how could a 100,000+ Container Ship negotiate its was through this maze
of islands to get to Darwin when they can sail straight to Perth or
Brisbane?

Darwin isn't a deep sea harbour, I assume (I don't know for sure) that the
harbour would be tidal and to accommidate such large ships surely it would
need to be dredged regulaly?

If this is the case would the potentual traffic justify the cost of building
the line?

Bob.