Re: Traveling on the XPT

I needed to travel one way to Albury on very short notice and found the air
fare quite prohibitive with first class XPT a lot cheaper. I found the
experience very pleasant having been given a seat facing a bulkhead which
provided lots of leg room with no one beside me.  I believe they should cut
out subsidised first class travel. Perhaps a smaller number of more
luxurious first class seats but more cheap economy class.  I have always
wondered whether you could have made a quid if someone purchased a dozen of
the Southern Aurora cars, ripped out the sleeping berths, placed in lots of
seats and charged say $30 to Melbourne.  One car could have no seats with
back packers bunking on the floor at say $10. I believe some overseas
railways have this back packer service.

Cheers
RJG
WhaleOilBeefHooked <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
7q3m7c$3et$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7q3m7c$3et$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> Michael wrote in message <8E2E906C8telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net>...
>
> >On a trip to sydney just a month later I was in car B, and it was easier
> >relax, and taking into consideration I got up 7am that day I didn't get
> >sleep until we reached Gundagai, and woke up at Cootamundra... Was awake
at
> >the boring part of the journey, and slept through the interesting bit,
i.e.
> >Junee :-)
>
> Hmmm. let's see - when has the XPT gone through Gundagai? Also, since
> Gundagai is closer to Sydney than Juneee is, if you were awake at
Gundagai,