Re: Railway Museum or Theme Park?

John Wayman wrote in message <7pkpa7$hgq$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
>I recently visited the Australian Railway Historical Society  Railway
Museum
>at North Williamstown in Victoria.
>
>I was disgusted to see name plates added to commemorate deceased museum
>workers.

Where are the name plates,on the exhibits themselves or plaques separate to
and describing the exhibits?

>Should a railway museum display its exhibits to show them as they looked
>when in service, or are railway museums just railway theme parks for the
>indulgences of museum workers and the general population?

If museums in Britain were to display steam locos as they were in service in
the last decade of steam under British rail, it wouldn't be a good idea.
They were filthy, rusty, decrepit and missing their decorative fittings such
as name and number plates.   If a museum doesn't show its exhibits to best
advantage, the general population won't visit.  A museum won't survive on
gunzels alone.

Regards

David Bennetts
Canberra