Re: 82's Leading Patricks West- Question on 82 cl gear ratios & what

In article <37bbf971@nap-ns1> "Grahame Ferguson" <grahamef@users.mcmedia.com.au> writes:

>Thank you Maurie for your information. My point why certain locomotive
>companies win tenders not always relates to what is best.  Factors like cost
>and quickness of delivery do figure prominently.  Other factors like
>political pressure, or the Rail Authority trying to keep two rivals in
>competition so that the price will always remain low do play a part.

>In the case of the NRs it could have been price and a speedy delivery that
>set Goninan apart.  GE in the US, does this very well, and it seems that
>Goninans have done the same here.

>NSW always bought Alco because they were cheaper and they had to supply
>locomotives for the biggest railway in the country, and the Alcos did the
>work for which they were built.  They did not have the luxury like the CR
>being able to pick and choose.
>NSW only bought Clyde locomotives in the 60s to support local industry.  It
>was the new features of the 81 class, and at the time rival firms could not
>produce an engine of 3000hp that would not exceed the specified axle load
>limit, that put Clyde back in the game in NSW.

>As an aside from what I read in Railway Digest, the 90s were closer to a
>SD60 than an SD70. The 90s 710G3A engine is 35hp higher than a SD60.  An
>SD60's fuel consumption is 186 US gal/hr.

>regards, GF.

Its also worth noting that NRC have to operate in a totally differant
competitive climate than does Freightcorp or Westrail where a lot of their
annual tonnage such as coal in NSW and bulk commodities like grain in WA are
guaranteed to rail via legislation,which means that fuel costs and indeed loco
costs themselves can easily be absorbed in excess freight rates,whereas NRC
dont have a monopoly on anything and have to compete against the Road industry
where rates are extremely low and getting lower.
Prior to the inclusion of the diesel fuel excise on rail in 1985 by the
Keating Govt,most Govt railways didnt care or indeed even know what their fuel
costs / consumption was,as evidenced by locos left sitting around in depots
idling  all weekend.
You dont see this anymore .

MD