Re: Thailand: whats to see and do?

Derick Wuen wrote in message 37baa5a1.0@iridium.webone.com.au">news:37baa5a1.0@iridium.webone.com.au...
> I have a 2 week consultancy coming up in Bankok Sept 25-Oct 8.
>
> Whats the rail action? Anything special?
>
> Thoughts on a there and back weekend rail jaunt?

    Funny that you should mention Bangkok, as I just recieved a copy of
Engineering World magazine yesterday (Wednesday 18th Aug) and it has a major
article on a new 'rail mass transit system'.  It is an elevated and
underground railway in and arond Bangkok.  Looks very large scale!  The
elevated lines are due to open this year I think, and the tunnels in 2003.
The pictures show trains running, so maybe you CAN ride on some of it
already.

    The article has no map, so if you could get one and post it up on the
net, I would appreciate it.  Better still, if anyone knows where a site may
alreadybe on the net, letme know.  (although I have no knowledge of Bangkok,
It would be good to get an idea of the scal of things.)

regards,

Steven Hurst
http://home.primus.com.au/hurste/bmsl