Re: Badgerys creek rumblings.

In article <37B9FF60.389B62B3@omni.com.au> David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> writes:
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:35:15 +1000
>From: David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Badgerys creek rumblings.

>Chris Brownbill wrote:
>>
>> On ABC radio "PM" this evening, the talk was of the reason for the deferral of
>> the Cabinet decision due today on Badgery's Creek airport being consideration
>of
>> alternatives - including "Extension of Speedrail to Melbourne and possibly
>> beyond".
>>
>> So what do they mean beyond?  Geelong?  Warrnambool?  Is this a takeover of
>WCR?

>VFT and Speedrail always had Brisbane and Adelaide in mind.

>A single line to Melbourne wouldn't be very useful. Too much time would
>be lost in crossing. The Sydney - Canberra project is to be single line
>from Glenlee to Canberra, but this would be doubled if the line
>continued to Melbourne to have double track all the way.

I doubt that this is the case.
If the trains are timetabled and run on time , no reason why they shouldnt,
then the crosses can be scheduled to occur where the trains would stop anyway,
ie Canberra,Wagga and Albury.
If crosses were needed anywhere else then it would be possible to build long
crossing loops , (10 km long) with hi speed points, (admittedly still slow
(100 km/h) where trains could cross without stopping , ie we rely on time
keeping to keep the trains running,and give the thru trains priority.
My point was that for the $7B the feds could build the line ,and not rely on
the private sector to do it , after all , they dont seem to want to involve
the private sector in funding and building Badgerys Creek.

MD