Re: Long Mel-Syd train, was Booked out Melb XPTs

In article <W3Bs3.179$gr1.13683@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
  "fg" <andrei@axs.com.au> wrote:
> I travelled on the overnight train to Sydney from Melbourne a few
> years ago.  This was during the pilots strike, a few days before
> Christmas.  I don't think it was an XPT but it was after the Spirit of
> Progress/Southern Aurora had been phased out ... the train had to stop
> three times at every station on the way to Sydney.

No offence, but I think your memory may not be 100%.  I used to catch
the Spirit at Cootamundra and the platform comfortably took the 18+ cars
at peak times - AFAIK it never stopped twice, let alone three times.  We
used to joke about claiming a refund from walking half way to
Wallendbeen to board - we always seemed to get seats in the third or
fourth car.  On the other hand, I think either Harden or Yass Jnct had a
short platform and double stopping was the norm there, maybe triple at
peak times.  From recollection that was the only regular double stop
between Coota and Sydney.  Later trains may have been longer, but I
doubt they were more than twice as long.

Regards,
LB.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/