Murwillumbah

     Today in our local paper on the front page was an article about the
rumored cut backs to the staff at Murwillumbah. The article stated that
the Travel Center lost nearly $23,000 last financial year it also stated
that there were going to be further job cuts at other North Coast
stations.
      In the RTA documentation upgrading the Pacific hwy Yelgun to
Chinderah which is going to cost $230 million and will be started on
very soon, would have been a brilliant opportunity for up grading the
rail line along the same alignment to bring the rail line a little
closer to Tweed Heads only a dream!!!!
    Separate to this there are discussions being held between the Qld
Transport minister and his NSW counter part about the routes for the
Tugun bypass and the route of the Coolangatta railway. Today in another
local paper a story about these issues states they have appeared to come
to an agreement of the route of the road   it is to go west of the
airport subject to an environmental study as this was also the preferred
route of the rail line we are all keeping our fingers crossed they have
agreed to that also. The reason the Qld Gov. has to negotiate over the
road and rail corridors is that they both leave Queensland and travel in
NSW for about 4 km as the state border cuts diagonally through the
Coolangatta airport the rail line is supposed to re enter Qld and finish
near the airport terminal.
Davo