Re: Rail line preservation

John Wayman wrote:

> Rod <berlina@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> 7ommb6$amf$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7ommb6$amf$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> > Gidday Steven,
> >                        although I am basing my post on a 2 hour
> conversation
> > at the Wodonga Model Railway Show, which was recently held, and attended
> by
> > the Beechworth Group.......... I voiced my opinion that the line should be
> > going from Beechworth to Yackandanda. Both these towns attract hundreds
> and
> > thousands of middle aged tourists each year, the very people that will
> spend
> > money on this sort of thing.
> > As an example a Tourist Bus arrives from Albury, and leaves people to
> travel
> > to Beechworth by train, where they are again picked up by the bus to
> > continue their tour....Melbourne bus reverse!
>
> Is part of the road from Beechworth to Yackandandah built on the railway
> formation?
>
> Cheers
> John Wayman

Yes, there is a road along the formation from Beechworth to Wooragee (about 8km)
built along the formation, although much of it would probably be 4WD track. The
line from Wooragee to Yackandandah ran close to the road, but AFAIK, there is no
road built along the formation.

John
--
John Cleverdon, B.App.Sc. (Cartography), AMMSIA
Land Titles Automation Project - Beveridge & Williams, Melbourne