Re: 82's Leading Patricks West. - Where are they now?

In article <mauried.304.37AFF16B@commslab.gov.au> mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) writes:
>From: mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly)
>Subject: Re: 82's Leading Patricks West. - Where are they now?
>Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:31:23 GMT

>In article <37afba6c.2105672@news.bigpond.com> gonoNOCRAP@bigpond.com writes:
>>From: gonoNOCRAP@bigpond.com
>>Subject: Re: 82's Leading Patricks West. - Where are they now?
>>Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 05:38:13 GMT

>>On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:24:48 GMT, mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie
>>Daly) wrote:

>>>This is a difficult question but does anyone have any idea of what a full load
>>>for an 82 thru the Adelaide Hills is ?
>>>It will / should be more than an 81 / BL or  an NR due to the more powerful
>>>traction motors.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>MD
>>My guess Maurie would be the same as a DL they both have 710 12
>>cylinder engines.
>>regards Paul Johnston (MNRC)

>Thanks Paul .
>Its not an easy comparison due mainly to the much differant weights and the
>totally differant traction motors,(DLs are quite lightweight 118T against the
>132T of the 82s .
>The biggest differance is the continous tractive effort of 413 kn for the 82s.
>(Gruntiest 3000HP loco in the country.)
>Unfortunately railpage dosent give a starting tractive effort for 82s.
>Maybe ASR will do some load trials to find out.

>cheers
>MD

I finally after some digging came up with some currently published loads for
82s which would give some indication for an Adelaide Hills scenerio.
SRA quote 1200 tonnes on 1:40 at 16.4 km/h which is 100 tonnes more than
81/G/BL.
For continuous tractive effort of 413 Kn and that the Adelaide Hills are
mainly 1:45 with uncompensated curves which reduce to 1:40 an 82 should handle
around 1300 tonnes,assuming no millipedes on the line.

MD