Re: New Tickets for Bayside Trains

Paul,

It has already been said that multi-modal ticketing will not be replaced
completely. In this case, you will still be able to use your multi-modal
Metcard on any tram train or bus. It has also been said from the start, that
private operators would be allowed to introduce their own ticketing systems to
run along side, but not completely replace the current multi modal ticketing
system.

That said, National bus company have been doing this since 1990, and it has not
posed any problems. It is probably good that you have a choice of ticketing
systems, since you can decide which is cheaper for you.

Example: Every day i travel both Hillside Trains and Bayside Trains. They
Bayside-Only offpeak ticket will not work for me, so I shall continue to use my
Zone 1 weekly, or Metcard-10. If I happened to be using a Metcard-10 for that
week, and I choose to spend a day in the city however, I can purchase a Bayside
Trains off peak ticket for nearly a dollar less than I would for the equivilent
Zone 1 ticket.

I used to be against privatisation, and I still am to an extent as far as other
utilities go. I do however see the privatisation of public transport as a long
needed change from government control. The government do not have the first
clue on how to operate a railway, from my point of view, and have probably done
us a good thing by selling it off.

I do however disagree with the trams being split into two companies, and rail
being split into four companies. There is no need for it, and it is creating
waste. By the time Bayside Trains and Hillside Trains build their new EMU's we
will have two sets of trains, that can only be run in their designated areas.
For example, at Flinders Street, we see that the 12:16 down Hurstbridge is
running very late, or better still, it got cancelled due to a defective train
up the line somewhere. There may be a train ex. Cranbourne as an example, which
is tabled to be terminated and stabled say, arriving at Flinders Street at
12:14. This up cranbourne could then form the said down Hurstbridge that went
missing up the line somewhere. It does not take a genius to work this out.

That said, it also doesnt take a genius to work out that the government and our
so-called Wonder-Kennett(tm) doesnt have a clue as far as rail goes. I also
knew from the very start that with the split in systems, that no one company
would win more than two portions of the same transport operator.

i.e. the Freight Victoria consortium, no matter how much better their offer may
have been, will not have won V/Line pass, just as National Express would not
have won Hillside Trains, etc.

This was simply Wonder-Kennett(tm)'s measure of keeping things complicated.

All in all, privatisation is good, just not how it happened to a big extent. I
am just glad that our ticketing will remain the same, bit while we still have
stupid people, and sheep impersonators, we will always have our Wonder-
Kennett(tm).

Regards,
Michael "Feel free to flame me for my political opinion".