Re: Fares - Sydney vs Melbourne

Jennifer Richmond <richmond@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
37A78BA0.97F82418@melbpc.org.au">news:37A78BA0.97F82418@melbpc.org.au...
> And people try to tell me that Melbourne fares are high!!

I actually think it would be a good idea to merge the two systems for both
cities.  I know for one that here in Melbourne hundreds of people (i.e.
students, my father) never by tickets when they're only travelling one or
two stations, because they (they meaning my father) think it's ridiculous to
pay close to $2 just to travel one-way from Upwey to Boronia.  Why not do
what someone suggested to me once and create a "municipal" ticket system,
where you can travel to any of the stations in your council, with all inner
city councils (i.e. 10-15 kms from the GPO) have the one ticket for the
inner metro area.  For example, if you live in Boronia, you can travel to
Bayswater or Upper Fern Tree Gully without having to buy a ticket for the
entire district.  Or hell, even bring back the old neighbourhood ticket
scheme and price it so someone travelling from Watsonia to Box Hill can
travel three neighbourhoods (Greensborough, Inner, Box Hill) and only be
charged what they would for a Zone 1 + 2.