Re: 8-car Chopper etc.

Chris Downs wrote:

> [..cut..]
> The most plausible explanation I heard for these sets was the shortage of
> trailers due to the refurbishment of the Tulloch trailers.

exactly right, the extra motor cars were to balance the lack of trailers in the
system

> Chris
>
> Bill McNiven wrote in message <1fvp3.3440$_Q2.30622@ozemail.com.au>...
> >For some time, Sydney's 56 "chopper" cars have been marshalled as eight
> >6-car sets and one 8-car set (C9).  Today I noticed 8-car sets C2 and C5.
> >Is this the start of a grand re-marshalling?
> >
> >I also notice that there are still two six-car R sets marshalled
> >C-T-C-C-T-C.  Does this indicate that CityRail actually has too many power
> >cars and not enought trailers, or is there a more technical explanantion?
> >
> >Over to the experts ...
> >
> >Bill

  C9 has been running as 8 cars for most of this year (since about february?),
and just recently
(from last month i believe) C2 and C5 have been running together, each four
cars only, forming
an eight car set. Seen yesterday (monday 3/8) was set C3, also now running as 8
cars; 6 of them
were from the original C3 and the extra two came from what was C5.

similar topic, of four car S sets being targetted as R sets.. the explanation
for this is that flemington
simply ran out of numbers in their allocation of S sets numbers to number all
their sets, so they started
using the R set number allocation from R20 on to form more four car sets.

All this comes, I think from the general idea that CityRail wants to run longer
trains, even on the weekend,
so that less six car sets are required, while more four car sets are needed to
make up 8 car trains.

Homer