Re: Movable span bridges

Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST) wrote in message ...
>Was Iron Cove really an opening bridge???!! (I know its not the one there
>now.)
>Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)
I stand corrected by Ron Besdansky.  The Iron Cove Bridge was NOT an opening
bridge.  The signalling arrangements were to prevent trams passing on a
narrow bridge.  (The Fig Tree Bridge was an opening bridge, but trams never
got there!)

PYRMONT BRIDGE

When the monorail opened c.1987, Pyrmont Bridge was an opening bridge.  I
haven't seen it open since around 1992, but I haven't been looking.

ANOTHER ONE?

"Destination Paradise" (2 Ed., AETA, 1975) tells us that the Port Adelaide
(S.A.) Tramways and subsequent trolley buses crossed the Port River on
"Jervois Bridge", and that the trolley buses were re-routed to "Birkenhead
Bridge", a bascule bridge, in 1960.  Was the Jervois Bridge an opening
structure when trams crossed it?

Sorry for the inaccurate shot from the hip,

Bill