Re: Another RSA worker killed

Railway Rasputin wrote:

<My (Bill's) original response snipped>

> You can't protect people from themselves. You can train them and
> train them and train them.
> No matter how much you train them there will still be those that
> don't conform or are laxed. So unless you employ more people to
> police them you will still get the occasional fatality.
> A good example of this is with train crew, some still refuse to
> wear the orange saftey vest no matter what you do. Yet this is a
> simple task.

If workers will not obey safety rules, they should be warned, and
if the desired behaviour is not obtained, they should be
dismissed! I remember seeing a sign in the BNSF yard at Barstow,
California, 5 years ago:

"Safe Working is a Condition of Your Employment"

And they meant it!

Here in NZ, the Employment Court recently upheld the right of an
employer to sack a worker who consistently refused to follow a
safety procedure "Because it was too much trouble".

Bill