Re: Bayside Trains driver stood down.

If a level crossing in Victoria has a red/red auto signal before it
and that crossing required stopping/express selection either by pushing
a button in a signal box or by auotmatic selection at the previous
station the signal WILL NOT clear until the boom gates are horozintal
IF stopping selection has been selected.  Simple as that.

If express selection if made the signal will clear as soon as the
selection is made.

There are many level corssings in Victoria which do not have
stopping/express selection and these do not have red/red signals before them.

Quite a lot of these signals are not controlled by levers but when
stopping is selected will not clear until the boom gates are horozintal.
As far as I am concerned that is protection to make sure a train does not
enter the level crossing before the boom gates are down.  Of course if
express selection is made and the signal clears the boom gates are going to
lower earlier then for stopping.  The only way then for the train to enter
the level crossing  before it is operating is to be speeding (going
quite a bit faster then line speed).

MarkBau1 (markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk) wrote:
: <<<<<NOT if the signal is an auto.  The crossing is only "protected" by the
: fixed signal if the fixed signal is a controlled signal.  A level
: crossing in an automatic area is never deemed to be *protected* by an
: automatic signal, whether that signal is adjacent to the crossing or
: otherwise.  Otherwise, the *signal* and the *level crossing* are
: independant of each other.  This is not to say that common signalling
: equipment (ie. track circuits) does not govern the operation of each,
: just that an *auto* signal doesn't care about the state of the
: crossing.  There are exceptions, but in NSW, *most* of the time, esp on
: main lines, this is the case.>>>>>

: Shaun, I think you need to rewrite this paragraph as it contradicts itself.
: What you descibe might be correct for NSW but not for Victoria and this thread
: is about Victorian level crossings. BTW, I thought you had controlled auto's in
: NSW like Victoria does.

: Mark.

: Visit my train pic website at:
: http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/