Re: Bayside Trains driver stood down.

<<<<<NOT if the signal is an auto.  The crossing is only "protected" by the
fixed signal if the fixed signal is a controlled signal.  A level
crossing in an automatic area is never deemed to be *protected* by an
automatic signal, whether that signal is adjacent to the crossing or
otherwise.  Otherwise, the *signal* and the *level crossing* are
independant of each other.  This is not to say that common signalling
equipment (ie. track circuits) does not govern the operation of each,
just that an *auto* signal doesn't care about the state of the
crossing.  There are exceptions, but in NSW, *most* of the time, esp on
main lines, this is the case.>>>>>

Shaun, I think you need to rewrite this paragraph as it contradicts itself.
What you descibe might be correct for NSW but not for Victoria and this thread
is about Victorian level crossings. BTW, I thought you had controlled auto's in
NSW like Victoria does.

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/