Re: Welcome to Bayside Trains

In the UK (I think), they have a combined map and timetable of all passenger
services. Each operator must cough up with some dough to pay for this
service. I wounder if the same is going to happen in Melbourne??

Ben Staples

Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
372A9694.2C26147E@enternet.com.au">news:372A9694.2C26147E@enternet.com.au...
> Brochure being handed out yesterday evening at Parliament station entitled
> "Welcome to Bayside Trains".  At first glance it looks pretty, but when
you read
> more closely you start to see how my fears of network disintegration are
coming
> true now that we have segregated our rail system.
>
> Some illustrations of the 'half-information' or supplier biased
information this
> brochure contains are:
> -  The map only shows Bayside routes - Hillside lines are shown only at
the
> junction points with arrows pointing off into the never-never.
> -  Whilst the brochure is at pains to point out that nothing has changed
in the
> way you pay for your ticket and travel, it then says that 'Metcards are
> available at all Bayside Trains stations'.  Well, that's the truth, but
its not
> the whole truth because there is an implication which the spin doctors
know
> would never stand up in court that this is something better than what you
would
> find and someone else's stations.
> -  There is a section titled "Trains right to the Gate" in which the
benefits of
> train travel to the Zoo, the MCG, Shopping at Melbourne Central, and the
races
> at Caulfield are extolled.  What about Melbourne's main racecourse -
> Flemington?  Of course not - that's the other lot!
>
> In a different vein, there's a cutesy shot of a nicely renovated
polychrome
> brick station in evening light with a softly lit city skyline in the
distance.
> Very nice I thought until  I looked a bit closer and realised it was
Footscray