Re: Government buying private!

In article <7g5etr$art$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au>,
  matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier) wrote:
> In article <CEcV2.20963$MB3.28160@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,
> M.G.Smith <gard@bigpond.com> wrote:
> >It has been rumoured that from the 1 July 1999 some buses (private) will
> >become government operated.
> >Two I have heard of is :
> >North & Western
> >Westbus
> >Look forward to this happening in Sydney (I hope).
> >Any one got further details? Please post here, Thankyou.
>
>  I doubt it. What is more likely is that the DOT has reached an
> agreement on common ticketing with those companies.

I have also read somewhere that the government is planning to buy two private
bus companies in the North West area. I'm quite sure North & Western is one
of them, but I'm can't remember the other, AFAIK it definately is *not*
Westbus. Westbus is way too big and expensive! The reason for the intended
purchase is that the two companies in question operate in an area that is
close to the current STA territories, and that it makes sense to amalgamate
them with the STA services.

I find the thought of an agreement on common ticketing even less believable
than a Government purchase of private companies :-(

Rob

Sydney (Australia)