Re: What's that noise?

In most non-chopper traction control systems, moving the controller back ANY
amount causes "cut off". (There's a ratchet-operated switch in the
controller that respomds to any and only reverse movement). You then have to
move the controller back to "off" to re-apply power. You'll see tram drivers
do this when they have to cut-off, e.g. for a section insulator or
crossing - from full series or full parallel (or wherever the handle happens
to be) - quickly back to "off" then back to where you were after the point
has been passed. (I know this applies at least to W-series trams and I think
it would apply to most/all trains in Melb.)

Ron BEST

19990427222829.11707.00000148@ng32.aol.com">news:19990427222829.11707.00000148@ng32.aol.com...