Re: What's that noise?

It's the same with trams. When accelerating, a high current is drawn from
the overhead. If, for some reason, the driver "notches back", this current
has to be interrupted. The sound you hear and the arc is a result of  the
line-breaker (a large circuit-breaker) opening under heavy current. (BTW,
one of the tram noises I love to hear is that one - in a W tram.)

Ron BEST

Pine.SOL.3.96.990428101855.9453G-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au">news:Pine.SOL.3.96.990428101855.9453G-100000@minyos.its.rmit.edu.au...