Re: Signalling in Victoria

David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> wrote:

>MarkBau1 wrote:

>> Calling David Langely,

>Hello Mark,

>Yes I will look it out but it will take a day or two to get it scanned, or at least
>the bits that matter. Temora is Sunday and I'll see what a little research can do.
>I am supposed to be writing an article for "Somersault" dead line yesterday.

The following is page 10 of C18/15, the section of the document Mark
was asking of.  There may be a few scanning glitches

FIXED SIGNALS WITH TWO OR THREE ARMS.

7.	(a) At places where one or more local roads diverge from the
Main Line, or at Junctions or other places where a reduction to Medium
or Low Speed may be required, Interlocked Semaphore Signals with two
or three Arms are provided-

The object of this arrangement is to inform the Driver of an
approaching train whether he may continue at Normal speed or is
required to reduce to Medium or Low speed.

8.	Definition of Normal, Medium and Low Speeds.) When the Normal
Speed Signal is displayed, the speed of the train must not exceed the
maximum speed laid down for the locality.

(b)	When a Medium Speed Signal is displayed, the speed of the
train must not exceed a rate of 25 miles per hour.

(c)	When the Clear Low Speed Signal is displayed, the speed of the
train must not exceed a rate of 10 miles per hour.
When the Caution Low Speed Signal is displayed, the Driver must draw
cautiously forward as far as the Line is clear.

(d)	In every case when a Medium Speed Signal or the Clear Low
Speed Signal is displayed, it must be distinctly understood that the
speed restriction applies to the whole of the Section as far as the
next Fixed Signal.

(c)	The maximum rates of speed laid down above are subject to the
Instructions and to the Special Rates of Speed shown on pages 176 to
192 of the General Appendix (as amended) and such Temporary Speed
Reductions as are shown from time to time in the Weekly notice or
other Printed or Written Instructions.

9.	(a) Normal Speed Signal.-When it is permissible for a. train
to proceed at Normal speed, the Signal to proceed ("Caution" or "
Clear") will be exhibited by the Top Arm or Light, and the train may
proceed at the speed laid down for the locality. (See figure 1, page
14@.

(b)	Medium Speed Signal.-When the train is to proceed to or from a
Running Line diverging from 'the Straight Running Line the Signal to
proceed is displayed by the Second Arm or Light, whether the road
diverges to the right or left, and the speed of the train must not
exceed the rate of speed laid down for a Medium speed route (see
figure 2, page 14).

At places where Automatic Signals are in use, and, owing to unusually
short Sections, a reduction to Medium Speed may be require(], one or
more Automatic Signals, as may be necessary, will be provided .with
two Arms.  When conditions require this reduction in speed, aspect No.
13 will be displayed. (See page 11).

(c)	Reduce to Medium Speed Signal.-When a Caution or Clear Medium
Speed Signal is displayed (aspect 11, 13, or 14, page 11). the Signal
clear, display "Reduce to Medium Speed Signal" (aspect 21 or 23, pigs
11).

The special function of the second Arm of a Reduce to Medium Speed
Signal is to give the Driver of an approaching train an advance
indication that the Medium Speed Signal is displayed at the Signal