Re: Melbourne's Icons (was Melbourne's Anti-tram Lord Mayor)

In article <37229391.4AF3@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz>,
  David McLoughlin <davemcl@REMOVEiprolink.co.nz> wrote:

> When I lived in Wellington, an Australian woman who'd just moved there
> told me one day that her spring-operated bus had run out of power on her
> way to work that morning, and the driver had got out, gone round to the
> back of the bus and wound it back up again.
>
> On further inquiry I elicited the fact she had been on a trolleybus (a
> vehicle she had never seen before; well, she *was* from Sydney) and that
> the poles had come off the wires... the "winding" noise she heard from
> the back of the bus was the driver resetting the retrievers. But it was
> hard to explain it to her.
>
> I kid you not.

Maybe she was related to the Sydneysider who once wrote to the Daily
Telegraph moaning about the reintroduction of trams to Sydney. He complained
that his friends from China laughed at them (maybe he should have visited
Haymarket to see how many tourists assemble themselves next to one for a
photo), he complained that they required ugly scaffolding to be placed over
the building at Central (actually related to a stalled station upgrade
project), and he complained about the need to have overhead wires on the
streets.

His solution? The silly fart proposed that the trams be removed, and replaced
with electrically guided rubber tired vehicles, collecting their power from
solar panels mounted on the roof!!!

> David McLoughlin
> Auckland New Zealand

Rob