Re: VR map, who wants a copy?

MarkBau1 wrote:

> <<<<<Mark, what sort of selection criteria do you have for including or not
> including stations/loops.?  Why I ask is I have read that during ww2, a
> number of loops were opened between ballarat and ararat to aid the passage
> of trains.  I do have a reference to them somewhere.  There were about 3
> loops of this nature, I think they would have closed soon after the war.
> Also, where did you get your reference regarding the Nowingi branchline.
> I am currently starting to research an article on the M class and was
> looking for a bit of background on the Brunswick plaster mills line.>>>>>>>
>
> Yes the wartime crossing loops have been giving me a bit of a headache so in
> the meantime I've left them off. I think some were planned, some were built but
> not used and some were of course built and used. It's a bit of a can of worms.

The wartime loops are not a headache. They are all well documented. Give me time
and I'll do you a list.

> I think the Ararat centenary booklet details them.

There were no wartime loops between Ballarat and Ararat.

> Most Brunswick Plaster Mills info came from Chris Wurr who has researched it
> pretty well. Like many obscure lines the "towards Millewa south" line was
> poorly researched in the "old days" so a bit of misleading info has been
> published over the years.

Try Bruce McLean in Mildura. His specialty is this end of Victoria. I do not have
an email address for him.

> Who could ever forget Keith Turton's famous statement, "There never was any
> station planned for the Dunkeld to Penshurst line"
> even though earthworks for it are still visible to this day.

What about Rod Milne in Bulletin (I think) who said that there NEVER any stations
between Terang and Mortlake. There were in fact TWO. The station between Penshurst
and Dunkeld was opened as an un-named staff station during construction times.

David Langley.