Re: Victorian closing dates that I have.

Gavin Potter wrote:

> Here is a list of closed lines (that I know of) and most of their
> closing dates. Hope they are of help to someone. If someone has a
> complete list (or can fill in a couple of blanks) I would appreciate a
> copy.

enormous snip.

> Gavin Potter.

Have copied your list and will check against mine. As you may or may not
have heard, there is an atlas project on the go and I with a couple of
others have been researching the dates of line openings, closings,
openings of stations/sidings, name changes and closing dates. We have
managed to right a few errors that have been perpetuated in various
publications including "VR to '62" which got a few wrong and missed out
a few. This work as you might appreciate is taking a long time and when
we have reached a stage where it looks OK it will probably be published.
I would like to add in details of safeworking and/or signalling on the
various lines. The current page count is somewhere around the 100 pages
mark.

Various lists have been published in ARHS Bulletin but that was only for
a chance for further input from the general readership. In fact the
replies to the Victorian list were almost entirely discounted because
they sought to perpetuate existing errors or supplied doubtful info
which was subsequently disproved. Some info was good though, but not
much. I like to think that that shows how thorough we have been in our
search for the correct information.

David Langley.