Geelong Area, 13/4

Another fascinating day, and I again found myself in a good position to
take in the day's happenings....

Keep in mind that all morning a ballast train behind an X+T was making
it's way from Warrnambool towards Winchelsea.....

Early in the morning a V/Line pass failed, I believe it was 8203 (0654
ex MSS) somewhere on the down side of Werribee.  This of course caused
some problems.  It was unable to form the 0830 up, hence all the
passengers instead boarded our 8220 pass (0635 ex WMB) which departed on
time from GEX at 0854, from plat 3.  Within the space of 2 mins, 8220
departed, 8203 arrived behind an N loco on FN set in plat 1, and 8205
(0746 ex MSS) arrived at Plat 2 (N loco - FSH set), 8205 being only a
few mins late.  8203 ran around and departed on the up, 8205 ran to Sth
Geelong as normal.  8207 arrived around 0940 behind B61+A81, the B was
detached and pass continued with A81.  B61 went to Geelong loco, then to
9137.

The down Waurn Ponds went through at 1059 with G514.  It failed on the
down side of Sth Geelong (D'oh!).  At 1220, T409+H4+H5 went through
light engines to rescue, dragging the Waurn Ponds back into no. 4 road
at 1254....meanwhile the ballast arrived at Winchelsea at 1240 and was
stowed in no. 3 road.....G514 came off the west end of the Ponderosa, it
ran l.e. through platform 2 and onto the loco.  The relief loco's ran
through no. 3 platform (the loco's stopped opposite each other to
exchange crews before continuing), then dropped onto the west end of the
Waurn Ponds, and waited.

By now it was 1310, so it was held while 8217 ran through and then
procedded to cross 8232 at Winchelsea (so a triple-cross at WIA with the
Ballast), after 8232 cleared Geelong the Waurn Ponds (finally!) got
going at 1440.  The relief loco's returned light at 1600hrs.

Just when the ballast finally departed Winchelsea I do not know yet (or
where it crossed 8207, though I suspect Camperdown).

9137 was very, very late, it was still at Nth Geelong 'C' box when I was
coming home at 1750, loco's were X+X+B61, and the consist included our
carriage BS201 on it's way to Ballarat for major work.  A G led wheatie
was also waiting at Nth Geelong 'C', I think this was 9123.

Never a dull moment!
Cheers,
CH.
--