Re: Easter Show

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:25:03 +1000, "Daniel Nightingale"
<dnightingale@bigpond.com> wrote:

>year?

>I heard from that it had more to do with budgetary restraints as well. A lot
>of government departments are missing, notably the STA as well. The NSW
>Police were only enticed back after there absence with financial assistance.

Stat Rail in its wisdom abolished its Display Unit (and Modsel Room)
which used to undertake the various exhibitions throoughout the State
(and occasionally interstate).   It closed down about last July.

The Public Transport Week display at Sydney Central late last year was
put on just after the Unit closed down.   A lot of us put much
voluntary time into that Display (I was on duty for the two days, plus
preparatory work), but it all had to be done in addition to our normal
work-load.   There was no way we could do a 16 (?) day stint at rhe
Show, plus setting up and dismantling.

The Display Unit played an essential publicity and public relations
role.   When will "they" ever learn!

Countrylink, at least, now contracts any display outside to a
commercial operator.

Hunslet.