Re: Will the last rail operator left...

K & D at Cootanee wrote in message <370c7a27@dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
>...some thoughts.
>
>NRC was supposed to be a one-stop-shop for interstate freight. Seems like
>things may go back to the fractured ways of the past. At least government
>railways were not trying to put each other out of business and they
>generally co-operated in getting freight from State A to E via B,C,D.
>
>How many rail operators can the market support? Will the pie grow or will
>these companies expend their finances fighting it out over existing
freight?
>At the end of this era will all trains run on roads...
>--
>Cheers,
>
>K & D at Cootanee
> (remove 999 from address to reply)

Actually this is pretty interesting. I dont know much about the Trans
Continental Railway to Perth, but I have always believed that it was the
only rail line in Australia, that knocks the sox off Road Transport
Operators and has held better than 75% of all east west traffic since it was
Standardised, and even up to 96%.
Having said this, it was very interesting to see that since SCT entered the
scene, and then TNT and Patricks and V/Line, as well as the legit operator,
National Rail, Freight charges have now tumbled to such an extent that
V/Line will /has pull out, and all Freight beyond Port Augusta will be
subbied out to the best bidder, after all if the others want to fight it
out, go ahead, and thanks very much, you can have mine too, at those rates
;o)
Rod