Re: Gt Southern Passenger Timetable.

>As requested; updated timetables for the Indian Pacific and the Ghan.
>Effective as of April 99.
>
>INDIAN PACIFIC
>Sydney Dep 2.55pm Mon, Thurs
>Broken Hill Dep 10.00am Tues, Fri

<snip info on timetables>

>Broken Hill Dep 4.30pm CST
>Sydney Arr 9.15am Thurs, Mon
>
>THE SYDNEY GHAN
>Sydney Dep 1.10pm Sunday
>Peterbh Dep 8.54am Monday

<snip more Ghan timetable>

>Peterbh Dep 1.01pm Saturday
>Sydney Arr 9.15am Sunday

So there is already competition in NSW! Why hasn't anybody complained up
until now about the competition between GSR (and previously AN) and
Countrylink for the travel dollars of Broken Hill residents?

More seriously this makes me think (doesn't happen often):
1. Is the Ghan going to stop at Broken Hill or does the omission of a time
indicate that GSR won't be providing a service there (seems odd if the IP
stops and Ghan doesn't)?

2. If the people of Broken Hill already receive a train service from GSR,
why the big political deal about Countrylink providing a service there when
the resources probably could be used for better return elsewhere (eg an
extra Sydney - Brisbane or Sydney - Melbourne train or else trains through
other political seats held with small majorities)? I am sure the people of
Broken Hill (the few that don't drive or fly to where they want to go) would
prefer to use the GSR service in preference to the Countrylink service
simply because the IP (and soon Ghan) would provide a better service and
facilities.