R707's troublesome trip to Ballarat

R707 led a charter from Lilydale *towards* Ballarat yesterday.

The normally impeccable on-time running of R707 was not in evidence as
the train left Spencer Street at 1006 (scheduled 0947) and despite
some spirited running up Ingliston Bank arrived at Bank Box Loop at
1118 (1045).

The train had been due to cross the up Ballarat Sprinter (8130) at
Bungaree Loop at 1128.   The "S" circular advises a running time of 35
minutes between Bank Box and Bungaree Loop.   I would have thought
that an excursion train running 33 minutes late would be been held at
Bank Box to allow the revenue train to proceed unhindered.

To my surprise, R707 thundered through Bank Box Loop and on up the
Bank.  We gave chase and filmed the train passing through Ballan at
1137 (1105), looking good.  A quick run up the highway to Bungaree
Loop where we found the up pass (double sprinters) in the loop
awaiting the R.   It was to be a long wait.

R707 blew a tube just out of Ballan at the 86km post and was halted.
The fire was dropped.

The Sprinters in Bungaree Loop then returned to Ballarat departing
about 1230.

Y119 was sent from Ballarat to retrieve the failed R and haul it into
Bungaree Loop to clear the line.  A crimson N (I'll have the number
tomorrow) was sent from Spencer Street and coupled to the Y and R and
train.  The up pass departing Ballarat at 1525 was four sprinters.  It
crossed the disabled R at Bungaree Loop at 1538 and I photographed the
N+Y119+R707+train at (site of) Bungaree at about 1540.  The train
proceeded to Ballarat at 20km/h.  The N was scheduled to haul R707's
train back to Melbourne at 1725.  I believe the R is in Ballarat East
Depot (beside R711?).

Regards

Yuri
--