Re: Locos in parks (Was: Boiler insulation and asbestos)

Edward Slee wrote:

> A few matters:
>
> 1) OK - F245 (possibly F177) is at Gawler.  Let's just hope it gets to Mt
> Barker!
>
> 2) 'Locomotives of Australia' by Leon Oberg (1982 reprint) lists 2 BHP
> 2-6-2T engines at Whyalla, numbers 2 & 3.  I knew Pichi Richi Railway
> rescued one, but does the other still exist?
>
> 3) I understood that Rx160 is still preserved at Murray Bridge (at the old
> wharf area) and has been incorporated into a museum display of carriages,
> goods shed etc.  I didn't mention it in my list of 'park' locomotives
> because I believe it is cared for in a railway museum setting.
>
> 4) The Y-class engine at Silverton is Silverton Tramway Y11, so not
> technically a SAR Y-class although mechanically similar. It has been
> modified (like many Silverton Y's) with weight added at the running board
> for extra traction.   The dry climate has kept this engine in excellent
> condition.  It is displayed in a caravan park / camping ground just outside
> the town.  (Wouldn't mind seeing this at my local - the Zig Zag!)
>
> 5) Sandfly is well presented (undercover) at Keswick terminal, having been
> statically restored in the 1980's.  (The welded stovepipe chimney looks
> pretty tacky though.)
>
> 6) T181 is at Sulphide St Station Museum, Broken Hill, together with Y1, W25
> and a Silver City Comet train.  This is an excellent museum and well worth
> the visit; there is an excellent photographic collection on display as well.
> The Y & T steam locos were in 'park' settings for years before coming to the
> museum but are well cared for now.  The W and Comet now have an overhead
> roof.
>
> Since we made a quick detour into NSW:
>
> a) 3075T  4-6-0T  Parked at Parkes in a park (sorry - had to do it)
>
> b) 1042  2-4-0T  Maitland (this 1887 engine deserves a better fate!)
>
> c) 'Possum' 0-4-0ST  Lithgow  (Originally a Hoskins Ironworks loco)
>
> d) '4' 0-6-0ST  Corrimal (This is a stylish Avonside industrial design...
> several preserved in the UK but the only Australian survivor of this design.
> Was roped off a few weeks ago... asbestos?  Quite rusted & dilapidated now)
>
> e) K176  2-8-0  Deniliquin  (Mexican broad gauge interloper)
>
> Too many to even mention Queensland & Victoria, but...
>
> C17 820 (4-8-0) was listed as preserved in Gympie, but I also read it was
> sold by the council for scrap since it was decrepit.  Does anyone know if
> 820 is still with us?

What is the F class at the River Murray Heritage Centre at Tocumwall? I
photographed it back in January but could not find any number on it.

Emu bay gravel? "PORTER" #16 is in a park out to the south of Mt Druitt (I
forget the name of the place).

--
Bye for now,

Eben

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~tkid/

And one ring to rule ... err ... moderate them all!