Re: Boiler insulation and asbestos

I believe flexible fibreglass wool (ie. similar to 'pink batts' roof
insulation) is commonly used nowadays.

As for asbestos insulation on 'plinthed' locomotives: a significant issue,
but usually only a problem when the boiler sheeting (inevitably) rusts
through.  Another issue for plinthed locomotives is the risk of injury to
children climbing on the locomotive, especially if they fall!  This risk,
and the fear of asbestos, has led several councils to fence off their park
locomotives (eg. J539 at Dimboola, Vic) and others to donate their machines
to railway preservation schemes.  (probably most afraid of the legal claim?
I believe there is an Australian Standard for safe playground equipment...
and steam locomotives are probably somewhat outside of the specification!)

I have seen asbestos lagging clearly exposed under rusted-through boiler
sheets at more than one railway museum...  a public relations nightmare
waiting to happen.

I am not aware of any concerted effort to address this issue in any state.
IMHO, the best course of action would be for all councils to donate their
locomotives to the nearest railway museum asap, where the machines could be
safely stored.  This also provides the opportunity for a professional
asbestos removal and restoration project at some stage in the future.

Regards
Ed