Re: "Day of the Roses"

David Johnson wrote:

> Albert Alcoceba wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 24 Oct 1998 12:13:49 GMT, kingpin1@ozemail.com.au (Derek
> > Woodlands) wrote:
> >
> > >BTW, the 46 class was generally run with just the rear panto erected
> >
> > Only when running light or in multiple.  Single units under load
> > generally had both panto *raised* :)
>
> Depending on the top speed.

I have to agree with Albert, between 1977 and 1989, when I used to see
quite a lot of 46s, I never once saw a single unit that didn't have both
pans raised, and if there was more than one on the train, they only had one
pan each raised.  I asked a driver about it once and he said it had
something to do with the "airgaps" in the overhead.

DPC James McInerney

STOP!  In The Name Of The Lore!