Re: New Vicorian rail/tram projects?

DB wrote:

<<<<<I can't see why an Ararat service couldn't work.>>>>>>>

I can see why it wouldn't work. Without subsidies a service needs passengers
and therin lies the problem. Who would travel on this service? The only
community that would be served is Beaufort, what's its population? 2,000?

Ballaraters wanting to go to Adelaide already have the means to connect with
the Overland, so where would the passengers come from to make this service
worthwhile?

Let's stop speculating over nonsense. Much more important things need to be
done, electrify to Geelong, get the Melb - Sydney freight haul up to 50%, run
the city loop in the proper direction, the list is endless.

Craig, if WCR does have plans to restore this service should it get V/Line pass
I'd love to hear their rationale as to how they would make it pay, remember,
you would be the only trains on this track, (their are virtually no industries
on this track), presumeably you'd want to maintain it at 115 KPH standards.
With no other operators to share maintainence costs I cannot see how it could
be made to pay in a million years!

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/