Re: New Vicorian rail/tram projects?

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:25:18 GMT, krel4203@netconnect.com.au (Krel )
wrote, and I selectively quote:

>Maybe to Ararat East. Getting into Ararat platform in the middle of a
>standard gauge SAW section could be an expensive problem.

The line off to Maryborough is in the same SAW section.  Why not a
line off to Ballarat <g!>.  Or you could get really radical and insert
an Ararat Block Point, or an Ararat Loop.... pretty cheaply, only a
quick software modification.... don't even have to reprint the NSP as
train running is now a state secret.

>Even using the dock wouldn't help. You would still have to cross the
>SG to access it and they have just moved Ararat 'A' box into the dock
>area. It it surround by signal posts (and signals) for display.

Back in the days when the Sg first went through, I thought the idea
was to have the platform road dual gauge, with a broad gauge siding
loop running outside the SG siding back towards the loco depot.  I
suppose the SG line off to Maryborough complicates all that.

A new platform is probably cheaper than new trackwork.  and NR
wouldn't be happy having worked so diligently to keep passenger trains
off "its" lines.

Regards

Yuri
--