trainstops and trips (was Level crossing collisions)

In article <362F6798.9B22E086@bigpond.com>,
  Rod Young <berlina@bigpond.com> wrote:

> There has to be a reason for the trip not depressing when it should,
>
> > therefore the "safe option" is to stop any train movement in either
> > direction until it is clearly understood what aspect of the
> > safeworking system has failed and the fault is repaired, or
> > appropriate manual safeworking put in place.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Bill
>
>   h  uuu   aaaaaaaaa???????
> My God we don't have many train drivers on this group do we?
> The simple matter is that the train needs to dump air to stop. The trip is
there to
> dump that air, whenever the driver fails to do so, when the signal, or speed
proving
> , is disobeyed.
> Should a driver become unable to control his train, The brakes remain set, or
the
> dead mans handle applies the brake, or the trip applies the brake. If help
does not
> arrive soon, and the air fails, the trip will not save the train, if it now
rolls
> away forwards or backwards!
>                                                                   Rod

Yes there are a few train drivers in this group who prefer to sit on the
fence.

The rear trip is latched down for two reasons. 1) to enable a train driver to
change ends without having to latch down the trip, and 2) also as you have
indicated that if a train was to roll backwards this device would then allow
the brake pipe to escape, hence the brakes come on. This is provided there is
a trainstop behind the train to stop this.

Anyway as David Johnson knows that if the gaurd detects that there is
something wrong with the driver, he is to  asscertain  what's going on. and
if need be, go ahead to the driver. And he would be responsible to secure the
train. The gaurd is also qualidifed to move the train in full series and not
exceeding 25km/h(notch 2)if the driver was unable to move the train due to
injury or other reasons to the nearest staion. So there is always help
available. That's until they get rid of the gaurds, which Cityrail are trying
to do after the Olympics.

The trip forms part of the saftey apparatus system. and yes there are certian
rules and regulations covering this.  OMET 181 comes to mind.

  In regards to your observation at Hornsby. The trains usually are traveling
at a low speed.(40km/h) (or 8km/h across the scissor crossovers) and if the
train was to come through there say above 50km/h, I feel that yes it would
definitely back trip.  By the time the train comes to a stand it would only
be doing approx 10km/h past this trip and not enough pressure to activate it.
 Hornsby is an older signalling setup which will be eliminated witihn the
next 12 to 18 months. What the signal design engineers usually put in place
for trips in the wrong runnig direction is a supression circuit to hold the
trip down until the train has passed the trip. I can olny suggest the slower
speed theory for this not being in place.

  If you have a look at No4 4 platform the Sydney end at Hornsby, there is a
trip provided in conjunction with a signal to allow trains to run from the
down main back to the up main. This has a supression circuit fitted as the
speeds of trains approaching the platform is much higher.

I hope this helps

Stuart Ellis