Re: Bringing Back The Ws (was: Melbourne Trams)

David McLoughlin (davemcl@REMOVEiprolinmk.co.nz) wrote:
: Bill Bolton wrote:
: >
: > On 18 Oct 1998 23:51:56 GMT, cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au (Christopher_Martin
: > GORDON) wrote:
: >
: > >And the W's are now fitted with a deadman's handle, let go of the brake
: > >handle and the weight fitted will push a switch stopping ther tram.
: > >
: > >Have a look if there is ever a W's out again.
: >
: > It's an elegantly simple design, I was impressed!
: >
: > By the way, there is also a LCD display in the cab which showed
: > something like "Next point Spencer & Collins" (this was travelling
: > towards Spencer St along Collins St) ... is this an indicator of the
: > next "turnout/divergence" or some indication on the next "check point"
: > or "way point" in the timetable?

: And is it something to do with the GPS or whatever it is which tracks the
: path of every tram?

: Why isn't this system used to put electronic signs at major tram stops
: alerting waiting passengers when the next tram is coming?

It is linked to the automatic ticketing.

The point could be the next section.

I saw on with "Machine Closed" and the ATM was "Out of Service"

--
Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord