Re: Level crossing collisions

Rod Young wrote:

> > Another possible reason would be that it difficult and dangerous to get down on the
> > track to raise / lower trip arms on running lines.
> >
> > --
> > David Johnson
> > CityRail Guard
> > trainman@ozemail.com.au
> > http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
>
>   Now that one is believable...it could just be why!

 After thinking further about this, I had another thought.  Let us assume for some
bizarre reason that the master controller fails at the front of the train when crossing
the large viaducts near Windsor (NSW), and the train comes to a stand on the viaduct.
For the train to move, the Guard has to apply power from the rear of the train.  If the
rear trip were latched up, he would be unable to apply power, and due to the location of
the train (on a single line viaduct with no footpath), he would be unable to lower the
trip.  Therefore, the train would be stranded on the bridge.  Also, if the train were to
fail between Redfern and Strathfield, requiring the guard to power from the rear, it
would be very dangerous to get down on the adjacent running line to latch the trip down.