Re: Level crossing collisions

>  Mark.
>
> I didn't pick this string up from the start but I assume that you are
> referring to having the rear trip enabled on Suburban and Interurban
> trains. The only thing I can think of is to stop a train travelling in
> the wrong running direction. This could be in response to an incident
> at Ashfield some time ago where a Suburban driver changed ends at
> Ashfield and then proceeded to run in the wrong running direction
> towards Strathfield. Operations control went into panic mode and had
> Strathfield station and train that was standing on the platform
> evacuated. Fortunately the driver realized his error and stopped before
> a collision occurred. So the idea of enabling the rear trip could be to
> try and stop this from happening again.
>
> John MacCallum

John,        this would have nothing to do with it, as the trip must be down for the
driver to be able to move the train!
When he changes direction, if the trip was up, he would need put it down to cut his
brake in and proceed.
So that is not the answer either!
        They may be trying to prevent a roll back situation! I guess Sydney has
enough hills to worry about. But that should be handled by the dead mans handle? or
foot pedal, so I would think.....that's not right either.
                                                                               Rod