Re: R711 lifts safety valves today!

David A. <David_A@nospam.mailroom.com> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>and distinctive is the word ... what have they done to the chimney ???
>The twin exhaust setup looks totally bizarre !  The front one is
>pointing forwards ... I can't see how this is going to help with
>dispersing the exhaust, but I don't have any details on what they are
>trying to do or how it benefits the efficiency of the loco.  Perhaps
>they can switch bewtween exhausts for forward and reverse running ?

Aaah......no, not quite<g!>

The loco modifications were designed by Phil Girdlestone, currently
ACR (South Africa) CME.  Phil and David Wardale worked together for a
while on the ACE steam project, and Phil has been responsible for the
modifications to the NGG Garratts.  The R class' modifications and
improvements follow on the principles of the great L D Porta and David
Wardale.

The stacks are canted due to clearance problems (as are the stacks on
the "Red Devil").  It is probable that the stacks will be hidden
behind a cowling.

The colour has been described as a "royal blue" so probably close to
the original "VR" blue (this is conjecture on my part).

The loco actually took its first steps at 1811 moving as far s the
first set of points.  After some adjustment to the lubricators, the
loco moved all the way down to Humfray Street gates and back,
apparently the light from the air intakes looking very spectacular in
the darkness.

The union representative inspected the loco in August and his report
was printed in a message here on 26 Sep 1998 by Rod Young.  I've now
placed a link to a .HTM copy of the salient parts of the report on the
R711 thumbnails page at my website.
Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos

Reply to: steam4me@enternet.com.au

Web site at http://people.enternet.com.au/~steam4me
(last updated 22 October 1998 2300h approx.)
First photos of R711 in steam!