Re: Brisbane to Sydney line

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
> petan@ion.com.au wrote:
>
> > Maybe QR should build a tilt train on 1435mm track and run it between
> > Brisbane and Sydney! Than maybe it won't arrive at Roma Street at the
> > stuped time the XPT does now!
>
> That's right.  It would cut 3 hours off the journey and arrive at 03:00.  (02:00
> in daylight saving)  :-)

The Tilt (with sleepers like the proposed one to Cairns) could leave
Sydney around 8pm like the Southern Aurora used to and arrive Brisbane
between 7 & 8am next morning.

My understanding of the the present XPT timetable is that
it leaves Sydney at 4.24pm so it will be able to be in Brisbane
early enough the next morning so it won't arrive too late back
into Sydney that night.  I don't think passenger convenience was the
main driving force for Brisbane services when they made up the XPT
timetable.  I agree arriving at 5.00 am (when NSW has DST) or 6.00 am
(when NSW is on EST) is not much fun.

Graham Duffin,
Salisbury, Qld.