Re: East West Highway, through the Centre.

pcc@ocean.com.au (Les Brown) wrote:

>Terry, what's the point of a sealed road through the centre anyway?

At this stage Tourism, put a sealed road down and the
truckies will use it.!

>If it's to carry livestock, then rail is hardly likely to be affected
>since rail, except for QLD, doesn't carry livestock these days.

Not cattle, what there is out that way is already taken
care of by the sealed road out to the Rock.

>The purpose of the road, which to my mind would be very exposed to
>seasonal flooding, would be next to useless.

No more than the Stuart Highway.

>And since there already is a sealed east-west road that has had a
>limited impact on rail freight, what could another road do apart from
>being a total waste of taxpayer's money?

Well, since the uniform national code on heavy
transport, I would doubt the "limited impact".

>I admit I don't know the area that well, so what could there be to
>justify sealing the road?

The idea is not new, it has been around for a long
time, there are a lot of people with strong views on
why it should be sealed.

Cheers

----Terry Burton