Re: Modern high speed steam to Mackay.

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:43:53 +1100, "Chris Stratton"
<stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> wrote:

>I'm sure they had locos like this in the US, I think they called them
>electro-diesels.

There's a significant difference between running off 600v DC (third
rail), such as the new Haven FL-9s you are thinking of did, and
running off 25kV (catenary).

A 25Kv locomotive contains what is effectively a small substation, to
get the line voltage down to something that is usable in a traction
motor.  By the time you have all that kit on board, there's not much
room left for a diesel engine!

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton