Re: Modern high speed steam to Mackay.

The preservationists would delight in such a steamfest - would the EIS pass
muster?

As to SAS/SAR steamers running at 170km/h, anyone ever heard of this? It was
as much as the Scottie could do in its prime.

As to buses and planes, well a little compettion might get some real fare
wars starting - can only benefit the consumer. And our airlines need
competition, anyone got a spare compass?

Nonetheless, one can't help but regard the whole issue of fast passenger
trains in Australia as pure politics - it got up in Qld, it failed in East
Gippsland. The right technology got the wrong route in NSW (I'm one who
thinks that centres of population provide revenue-producing traffic - so why
dodge the Illawarra? but there's already been a flame-war on that one so
I'll log out now.)

DW