Re: 2 car K sets

There seems to be a bit of confusion surrounding the 2 car K sets running on
the short north

These cars were the original A/C suburban train "R1".  Originally there were
10 of these cars but 2 were destroyed in the Cowan accident many years ago,
along with the driver.

It then used to run as an 8 6 or even as 2 x 4 car sets  depending on the
availability of cars as there were no spares.... as far as I know there are
still 8 in service... correct me if I'm wrong..

An earlier poster wanted to know why they dont run 2 car sets frequently...
In the 80's they used to run em and more often than not they had to be
rescued coz of flat batteries, compressor failures etc.
They would hit an air gap and if the batteries were flat the supply sets
would not kick back in.... The drivers union eventually killed em off for
years because of that and also the woeful riding characteristics of the
driving trailers, also if there was a problem with the motor car... u were a
dead duck..

Maybe they have improved over the years and they are runnin em again with
better batteries.... I don't know.. but the old T sets were a nightmare

Jack