Re: Y2K for the railway industry

On 15 Nov 1998 07:11:04 +1100, craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick)
wrote:

>Interestingly, if the TMS clock is set to any year prior to '86', it assumes
>it's next century and sets the year to '20xx', but if the year is '86' or
>higher, it assumes (correctly) that the year is '19xx'. That's definitely a
>strange quirk...

Not really strange.  There's no way that the year is going to be a
time prior to the trains manufacture.  Making the century roll over
point at "86" provides close to a 100 year windows during which the
TMS clock will function correctly.  I guess they don't expect Tangaras
to still be working in 2086.

Albert Alcoceba
  <><
alberta@zip.com.au