Re: Meeting with Speedrail

I believe that you around confusing magnetic fields, electric fields and
electro-magnetic fields.

AFAIK electro-magnetic fields (radio) affect humans,  and electric fields
(around high voltage power lines) are speculated to have some effect on
humans. The possible affect of magnetic fields (around current carrying
wires) tend to upset electronic equipment more than people.

A Faraday cage will protect against electric fields, EM fields (radio) may
be reduced, but usually magnetic fields to pass straight through.

James Robinson <NOSPAM@ERIE.NET> wrote in article
<364D7D11.3A55@ERIE.NET>...
> While most of the concern about the effects of magnetic fields on humans
> is speculative, it is generally acknowledged that as the frequency of
> the field increases, the risk increases.  This is why there is concern
> about mobile phones, since they operate at very high radio frequencies,
> (typically 800 MHz) and the frequencies on new model cordless phones are
> even climbing higher. (over 2 GHz)
>
> Maglev systems will not be operating at anywhere near these frequencies,
> so the risk will be reduced from this aspect.  Also, if the body of the
> vehicle is all metal, then the effect of this Faraday Cage will be to
> reduce the magnetic field inside the vehicle to almost nothing.  Beware
> of composite fiber vehicles, on the other hand.

Regards

Ron Bennell