Re: Hoy to Tocumwal?

Gordon, Macmillan, gmac@melbpc.org.au wrote:

> "Roderick Smith" <rodsmith@werple.net.au> writes: > There is a bg platform at
>  Tocumwal.  I alighted at it on a Steamrail tour a couple of years ago.
> >original post --
> > The first problem is // platform road at Tocumwal//   ??
>
> If this is to be a loco hauled service it would need siding to run around.
> I recall a substantial platform, and fair number of containers (export rice? )
> activity there July 1996.
>
> gmac

The BG platform is in good condition, and would be cheap job to upgrade. As
several trains of containers arrive and depart each day, runaround facilities
would be stretched a little. But no2 road is pretty long and the Sydney end is
usually empty. There is a crossover in the middle of the no.2 road [or loop] so a
carriage hauled train could be pulled forward clear of the crossover, engine cut
off, run forward back down 2 road , back through the central crossover, on to the
cars and ready to set up back in the platform.By the way this rumour has persisted
in house for many years, in fact it surfaced immediatly after Cobram was closed!
Coupled to the rumour was that a Hoys Bus woukld link Toc, Cobram and Albury, and
all points in between, as soon as the Albury Intermodal Terminal is completed.
                                                    Rod