Re: How about some facts about the NR class?

On 3 Nov 1998 05:58:10 GMT, markbau1@aol.comnospam (MarkBau1) wrote:

>Krel wrote:
>
><<<<< Is
>there any large rail freight organisation in Australia looking for
>freight that is NEW TO RAIL rather than just shifting to pieces of a
>very small pie?>>>>>>
>
>Well that's the 64,000 dollar question isn't it? Although I hate to see
>Australian govt. assetts sold to overseas interests I trully believe that the
>best operator would be someone like Wisconsin Central. I worked for them for a
>couple of months this time last year and was amazed at how much on line
>business they originate. Old timers told me that until WC showed up most of
>this business went by road but that WC is VERY aggresive in getting contracts
>from road onto rail. I believe WC has roughly doubled the tonnage originated on
>their system since they brought the property from the SOO. Downside of WC is
>they don't like unions but their own workforce has indeed just unionised and
>all in all their employees, (even without a union) had it better than most US
>workers.

I tend to agree with you on this. WC and affiliates seem to be able to
attract NEW BUSINESS to rail that other have missed. E, W & S in the
UK; TasRail in Tasmanis and Tranzrail in New Zealand seem to getting
more business, although the cost seems to be some working conditions.
Their management seems to be leaner than other operators. These
observations are made from a distance so it may be different close up.

>I dream of a day when rail has 70% or more of the Melb to Sydney freight haul.
>It can be done but not with the clowns you've got running the show now.

Don't we all, Mark, Don't we all.

Cheers

Krel

P.S. See you Sunday?  :-)